Sunday, September 30, 2012

my greatest romances

I fell in love with its energy.  Its yellow taxis and impatient natives.  I loved the smell of the streets until I realized where that smell was emanating from.  I fell in love on a barge-turned-bar named after a piece of cookware. I loved that a barge could be named after cookware and better yet I could enjoy a bucket of Corona on it.  From the tourists rushing its tallest building to the narrowest alley containing the best restaurant at which no one north of E 65th has eaten; I fell in love.

 And when my summer romance turned sour, it was a park bench under an arch that comforted me.



I fell in love with its overwhelming beauty.  I swore by goat cheese crepes on the street at any time of day.    I fell for museums as historic as the works they hold.  I came accustomed to looking up from wherever I was at 11 at night to search for the sparkling tower.  I wanted to know every charming man and be every pursed lipped woman.

And when I didn't know how to grieve, it was a seat in St. Paul's Cathedral that showed me.



I fall in love with locations.  Places can't break your heart...the decision to leave will always be yours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment