Thursday, June 14, 2012

wait, this isn't Super Mario Bros?

Around Easter time I started hearing people yell some sort of incoherent phrase at parties.  Did that guy just yell "Rollo" before jumping into the pool completely clothed?  Does he really want a chocolatey treat so badly that he needs to drench himself to prove his dedication?  I haven't had a Rollo in years, I really wasn't even aware they still made those.  I commend him on his devotion to the somewhat dated candy, and his lack of shame in making it known to all at the party.  But right before I went out to stock up on Rollo's that I was convinced had made a huge comeback,  I started realizing that the R sounded more like a Y.  And then it hit. YOLO.

This is the single dumbest acronym ever invented.  Are we really that hard up for vocabulary words that we need to resort to recycling lyrics from a man who goes by Tyga?  Is that some sort of ghetto tiger? I'm not entirely sure, and I don't like being tricked into sounding like I have a speech impediment when I go to say someone's name.  My apologies to Tyga if that's his God-given name, but for some reason I have a feeling that it's not.

You Only Live Once.  You all DO realize that this is a total rip off of Carpe Diem, and THAT is Latin ...so you at least have a chance of sounding cultured.  When you say YOLO you sound like you just got detention for fighting at the 7th grade semi-formal.  Which brings me to what YOLO has come to stand for.  In the company of Generation Y, you can now partake in any idiotic, dangerous, illegal, ethically compromising, or morally questionable act, and simply yell or tweet YOLO and all is forgiven.  Frankly, it's understood and encouraged.  I debated tweeting really tame stuff just in hopes to counterbalance this craze like, "eatin this watermelon. #YOLO" but honestly I'd rather steer clear of being hash tag associated.

I don't know, kids. Can't we just go all old school and let the idea of YOLO be a silent, abstract piece of knowledge like it was back in the day? Circa January.

No comments:

Post a Comment